Green Valley Dental Implants
Missing teeth can be awkward, and it is challenging to feel confident if you are unhappy with your smile.
Implant dentistry may be the right solution for you if you have a missing tooth or teeth. However, dental implants can be expensive, and many people do not have access to quality dental care. Luckily, the oral surgeons at Green Valley Oral Surgery are committed to providing high-quality, affordable dental implants. We offer a wide range of dental implant options to meet your needs. Contact us if you are interested in a consultation.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are preferable for individuals who have lost natural teeth due to an accident or decay. A dental implant starts with a metal post or frame that is surgically implanted into the jawbone, under the gums. Once in place, these posts allow our oral surgeons to attach replacement teeth securely. As a result, the new dental implant offer a natural-looking and long-lasting solution.
“For years I’d felt like a part of my body was missing — because my teeth were. My dentist told me that dental implants would make me feel and look a lot better. OK, I said. Now, I’m thrilled. I can smile, eat anything, and enjoy a good laugh with my friends.”
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants and dental implant surgery are a popular choice for replacing a missing tooth or teeth because they offer many advantages over other solutions, such as dentures. Some benefits of dental implants include:
- Like natural teeth: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. They enable normal eating, brushing, and flossing. Additionally, because they are securely anchored in place, dental implants can give you the peace of mind to laugh and speak with ease.
- Long-lasting: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime unlike dentures or bridges, which need to be replaced every 5 to 7 years.
- Preserve bone and existing teeth: Dental implants help to maintain the jawbone and prevent it from deteriorating over time. This is important because the jawbone provides support and stability for teeth. Keeping a healthy jaw bone helps avert the need for future tooth extractions by maintaning the natural support for your teeth.
- Avoid gum disease and improve your oral health: Dental implants can help to protect against gum disease by limiting shifting or movement of the teeth, avoiding opportunities for cavities and decay.
- Boost your nutrition: Dentures and other tooth-replacement options can make it difficult to eat certain foods. Dental implants allow you to have the foods you love, and the ones that are good for you, without difficulty!
- Secure — no unpleasant slippage: Dental implants are anchored securely in place, so there is no need to worry about slipping or falling out. This allows you to eat, speak, and laugh without fearing your teeth shifting or moving.
- Restore your smile: Get a solution for missing teeth that looks and feels completely natural. You will be able to boost your self-esteem and give you the confidence you need.
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
If you are thinking about getting dental implants, you should consult with one of our surgeons to see if dental implant surgery is right for you. Dental implants are most successful for patients with good oral health and sufficient bone density to support the implant.
Additionally, it is vital to maintain good oral hygiene and attend regular dental appointments after receiving implants.
Below are several factors to be considered before getting surgery:
- You are possibly losing one or more permanent teeth.
- You have partials that do not fit very well.
- You are beginning to experience bone loss in the jaw area.
- Your tooth has already developed an infection and needs to be extracted.
- You have some extra leeway in your bridge.
- You have a tooth that is either severely cracked or completely broken, and it cannot be recovered.
- Or simply because you have dentures, partials, or a bridge and find that smiling makes you feel self-conscious.
What is the Process for Getting A Dental Implant?
The process for receiving a dental implant can vary depending on the individual case. In general, it can be broken down into three main steps:
- Initial consultation and examination: During your initial consultation, an oral surgeon will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth, natural teeth, and gum tissue. Radiographs and other imaging tests may also be performed to get a clear picture of your oral health.
Based on the exam, we can then determine if you are a suitable candidate for dental implant surgery. We will take and examine impressions of your teeth to create a proper treatment plan. If you are missing all your natural teeth, you may need to receive a bone graft before getting implants. Once we determine that you are a viable candidate for dental implants, we will schedule the surgery.
- Placement of the implant: Once your treatment plan and surgery schedule are in place, the next step is surgery. The surgery usually takes place in two stages. The implant post will be placed in your jawbone in the first stage. This is a minor surgical procedure that is typically performed under local anesthesia by an oral surgeon.
During the procedure, a small incision is made in the gums to reach the bone. After drilling into the bone, the implant is inserted. The gums will be sutured closed, and the implant will be left to heal.
- Attachment of the artificial tooth: This process is completed by your general dentist once the implant has had time to heal and bond in your mouth. The addition of the artificial tooth (or teeth) can be immediate (within a few days) or can take several months. The time required depends on the type of implant and the teeth that will be attached.
Sometimes, the artificial tooth can be attached directly to the implant. In other cases, an abutment (a small connector piece) may need to be used to attach the artificial tooth to the implant.
Once the artificial tooth is in place, the ultimate step is ensuring that it fits properly and is the right color.
Advances in Dental Implants
At Green Valley Oral Surgery, dental implants have made great strides in recent years. In the past, they were mostly used to support dentures. However, advances in implant technology have made them a more viable option for replacing single teeth.
Some of the latest innovations and types of dental implants are:
One of the biggest advances has been to the surface of the dental implant itself. These new surfaces greatly increase a dental implant’s success rate by improving the bond between the dental implant and the bone. This reduces the chance for rejection and speeds up healing.
Get your teeth sooner! Recent studies have shown that immediate loading of dental implants is safe and effective, which allows the implant to be loaded with a dental prosthesis soon after it is placed. Immediate loading implants are ideal for people who have difficulty wearing dentures or who do not want to go through the lengthy process of waiting for their dental implant to heal.
Another area of recent advances is in the use of short implants. These implant types are less invasive and can be placed in areas where there is limited bone volume. This makes them an ideal option for patients who might not be candidates for traditional dental implants.
Sinus lifting procedures have become more commonplace to increase the success of dental implants in the upper jaw. By increasing the height of the jawbone, these procedures provide a better foundation for dental implants and lead to improved, long-term outcomes.
Custom implants are made from ceramic materials that closely match the color and translucency of real teeth. They are designed to fuse with the surrounding bone and provide a strong and stable foundation for replacement teeth. In addition, a custom dental implant procedure can now be performed using 3D printing technology, which allows for a much more precise fit. As a result, this surgery offers patients a highly effective and esthetically pleasing solution for missing teeth.
Thanks to these recent advances, dental implants have become a more viable option for many patients seeking tooth replacement.
We Make It Easy To Get a Dental Implant!
A lot of people are hesitant to get dental implants because they are worried about the process. They think it will be expensive, painful, and time-consuming.
However, most people do not know that getting a dental implant is easy. The process is affordable, painless, and does not take exceptionally long.
Green Valley Oral Surgery and our oral surgeons are here to make the process easy for you. We offer free consultations so you can learn more about what’s involved in getting a dental implant. We also have financing options available to get the treatment you need without breaking the bank.
We are dedicated to helping provide the best high-quality, affordable dental implants to extend the life of your teeth and will work with you to maintain good oral hygiene even after your dental implant surgery.
Contact us today for a consultation!